The Coronavirus arrived in Manhattan… It was a matter of time.
The virus spreads through contact so the best protection is to wash your hands thoroughly, often, for 20 seconds (sing the happy birthday song twice!) and DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE. The second best option, if you cannot wash your hands, is to use a hand-sanitizer that has at least 80% alcohol. All the hand sanitizers I saw at the drug store were about 45% or less, and really just help with killing bacteria, not viruses. Washing your hands will always be best.
Note that on surfaces, other than the skin, the coronavirus seems to be killed with bleach left on that surface for at least 10 minutes… yeah! don’t see that happen in the NYC subway…
So I created my own antiviral hand-sanitizer recipe in a 4oz glass spray bottle (glass because essential oils don’t like plastic…). Here’s what you do:
- 1 4oz glass spray bottle (amazon)
- Fill 80% of it with 91% isopropyl alcohol (drugstore)
- Fill the 20% left with filtered water
- Add the following antiviral essential oils (EO – I use Revive Oils):
- 10 drops tea tree EO
- 8 drops cinnamon EO
- 6 drops eucalyptus EO
- 6 drops thyme EO (red thyme)
- 6 drops ravensara EO
About the essential oils I chose above:
- Tea Tree EO: it is effective against all types of infections (bacterial, viral, fungal). It is effective against the flu virus within 5 to 10 minutes of exposure, as found in a study published in the Aerosol Science and Technology Journal.
- Cinnamon EO: allows antiviral activity as a liquid (you can consume this essential oil, or make cinnamon tea as well by boiling a cinnamon stick) and is also strengthening for the circulatory and respiratory systems and is restorative for weak, tired and cold people. Remember that the Coronavirus attacks the respiratory system and people end up dying of pneumonia symptoms and smokers are dying faster.
- Eucalyptus EO: Shows antiviral effect as a vapor (sniff it!). It helps fight infections of the respiratory tract such as the flu, colds, sinusitis, bronchitis and pneumonia! It’s also a decongestant and will help relieve the over-production of mucus (which makes you more vulnerable to the Coronavirus).
- Thyme EO: Is a very effective pulmonary antiseptic and effective against flu viruses. It is especially effective when there is debility associated with the respiratory infection. You can use it in steam inhalation, sniff the oil, or a chest rub.
- Ravensara EO: A less know oil coming from a tall evergreen tree, native to Madagascar. It’s one of the most effective EO in the treatment of viral infections such as colds and flu. Use it at the first sign of chill can help to prevent symptoms from developing. For the treatment of viral infections, use in inhalation, chest salves and a rubbing oil. Combined with tea tree and eucalyptus makes for a potent formula.
I carry my hand sanitizer in my purse, as well as a tiny bottle with the mix of essential oils above that I can add to my body oil for a chest rub before bedtime… You never know!! And it smells amazing.
Let me know if you have any questions,