4-5 cups spring water
1-2 inch strip of organic wakame seaweed, rinsed and soaked 5 minutes in 1 cup of water until softened
1-2 cups thinly sliced vegetables of your choice (carrots, celery, broccoli, fresh shiitake mushrooms, -sweet potatoes, spinach)
2-3 Tsp. organic miso paste (found in the supermarket fridge)
2 scallions, finely chopped
1. Chop soaked wakame.
2. Discard soaking water or use on houseplants for a boost of minerals.
3. Place water and wakame in a soup pot and bring to a boil.
4. Add root vegetables first and simmer gently for 5 minutes or until tender.
5. Add leafy vegetables and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove about 1/2 cup of liquid from pot and dissolve miso into it. Return it to the pot.
7. Reduce heat to very low; do not boil or simmer miso broth.
8. Allow soup to cook 2-3 minutes.
9. Garnish with scallions and serve.
Any combination of vegetables can be used in miso soup. Here are some classic combinations: