Cooking the beets take 50 minutes. Otherwise the dish is quick to make. You can buy already cooked beets to speed things up.
-1 cup dry quinoa
-2 cups organic arugula or kale
-1 stalk celery
-1 medium grated carrot
-1 medium beet cooked and chopped
-1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
-1 avocado sliced
-1/2 cup chopped parsley
-Juice of 1 lemon
-1 clove garlic pressed
-Himalayan salt or sea salt and black pepper to taste
-Optional: feta cheese, pistachio or other nuts, black beans
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly to remove the saponin (naturally present pesticide on the grain)
- Bring water to a boil add quinoa, reduce heat to simmer the grain for 8-10 minutes until the grain is opened up
- Drain and reserve in a bowl
- Bake the beet wrapped in aluminum foil in the oven. Cool and peel. Chop in small pieces.
- Add the arugula, beets, grated carrot, chopped celery and parsley, pressed garlic, sliced avocado in the bowl and blend well.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and pepper
Optional: Present topped with a few pieces of feta cheese